Sorbet tones are the perfect palate cleanser after all the acid brights, jewel tones and baroque embellishments that have dominated the past few seasons.
To keep this look fresh, it’s important to consider the silhouette. Straight leg, skinnies and ’60’s style ankle jeans look clean and modern. Anything high waisted or baggy can look like a thrift store nightmare.
Here are six ways to freshen up your look with pastels this spring.
1. Pair Pastels with Creamy Neutrals: Wearing white, ivory, cream or even soft gray on top will highlight pastels without overwhelming them. The lightest neutrals look dreamy and soft, while gray takes the look to a more casual place.
Delicate accessories and neutral colored shoes keep the look grounded.
2. Try Black and Sorbet for a Little Drama: Black looks crisp and sophisticated alongside a punchy color like lemon or berry.
Make the jeans your main color statement and pair with a structured black top, dramatic heels and a jet bag for a comfortable nighttime look.
3. Wear Pastels with Pastels: There’s something both soft and dramatic about applying last season’s color blocking lessons to pastels. Wear the lighter color on the part of the body you want to emphasize and keep colors similar in intensity.
If in doubt, look for combinations you see in nature; Lilac and rose look fresh together, as does the classic citrus combination of lemon, lime and orange.
4. Dress Them Up for the Office: Try pastel jeans with a blazer, a soft, patterned blouse and heels for a springtime look that’s office appropriate.
Muted colors like pistachio or peach often translate better to a professional setting. And unless your office is extremely creative or progressive, save the printed jeans for the weekend.
5. Try Tone on Tone Dressing: Wearing the same shade from head to toe creates a long, lean line, whether you’re wearing black or mint green.
To avoid looking like an Easter egg, try tailored shapes, minimal accessories and nude shoes. Showing a little skin — at the ankle, wrist or neckline — breaks up the color and adds contrast.
6. Mix Florals and Pastels with Tough Accessories: There’s a flattering pastel for every skin tone and a floral print for every taste, from abstract to ladylike.
Put the floral on the part of your body you’d like to emphasize — try skinny floral jeans if you have great legs or a bold flowered halter to show off your shoulders — and pair it with a pastel that picks up one of the colors in the print.
Since a look this sweet can border on saccharine, try bold accessories like stacked platform heels, studded jewelry or the perfect leather jacket.
What do you think? Will you be wearing pastels this spring or sitting this look out?
Do you like this article? Don’t miss a post with Prairie Style File’s subscription feature, located on this page on the top right. Just enter your email address and get Prairie Style File delivered right to your inbox.